The Board of Directors of the Journal of Interior Design (JID) invites applications for the role of Associate Editor. The Journal is eager to fill the position in a timely manner.
Published on behalf of the Interior Design Educators Council by Wiley Blackwell, the Journal is a quarterly, peer-reviewed publication overseen by an Editor-in-Chief, one or two Associate Editors, and an Editorial Assistant, as well as the publisher and the Board of Reviewers. The Journal’s Board of Directors is responsible for strategy and business oversight.
The Board is particularly interested in proposals from individuals who are qualified to provide editorial support for visual, creative, and/or humanities-based scholarship.
The contract period for the next Associate Editor appointment is from May 01, 2021 to April 30, 2024.
To ensure a smooth transition, the appointee will work with the current editor-in-chief (Joan I. Dickinson, Radford University) and associate editor (Nam-Kyu Park, University of Florida) when notified of the appointment.
|Submission of qualifications||February 28, 2021|
|Notification of appointment||April 1, 2021|
|Responsibilities begin||May 1, 2021|
Procedures for Submitting Qualifications
A candidate’s qualifications must be submitted no later than February 28, 2021.
A complete and concise application will contain information relating to the individual’s experience and qualifications. Submission of a vitae, as well as a letter of support from the individual’s institution, is necessary for consideration. The application packet should include a written statement (500 words) detailing the candidate’s interest in visual, creative, and/or humanities-based scholarship, methodologies, and theories.
All questions and applications should be sent electronically to Bryan D. Orthel (Chair, JID Board of Directors) at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 28, 2021. A confirming email will verify receipt of materials. Candidates may be contacted for interviews.
Summary of Associate Editors’ Expectations and Responsibilities from the JID P&P
The Associate Editor(s) works closely with the Editor-in-Chief (EIC) on duties as assigned. The Associate Editor reviews and prepares decision letters for submittals assigned to him/her by the EIC. The position requires an individual who has a working knowledge of interior design scholarship in all its forms and is committed to the successful implementation of the Editor-in-Chief’s vision for Journal of Interior Design.
Appointment and Term of Service
- Be a member in good standing of IDEC
- Ph.D. in Interior Design or closely related field
- Record of applicable scholarship and demonstrated contributions to the body of knowledge through refereed publications
- Record of publication in the JID and other scholarly journals
- Record of participation in IDEC
- Evidence of strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Evidence of ability to collaborate from a distance
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and complete assigned duties in a timely manner
- Ability to respond in a timely and professional manner to multiple parties with differing concerns and needs
- Demonstration of collegiality and collaboration in a variety of settings
- Demonstration of mentoring emerging interior design scholars
- Evidence of ability to utilize current and emerging technologies
Appointment: Appointed by the JID Board of Directors with ratification by the IDEC Board of Directors.
Term: Three years with the option of renewable terms.
Stipend: An annual stipend is provided to the Associate Editors as detailed in the letter of appointment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Directs the Journal of Interior Design’s content, review process, and production in keeping with the highest ethical standards.
- Provides support to the JID’s direction in keeping with the JID and IDEC mission and strategic plans
- Advances the mission of the Journal in collaboration with the Chair of the JID Board of Directors
- Participates in JID Board meetings, conference calls, and planned activities
- Supports the promotion of the JID to external constituencies
- Contributes the planning and execution of JID-sponsored activities
- Provides support to the EIC with regard to the submission and review process of the Journal
- Trains new Associate/Guest Editors
- Directs the peer review process in coordination with EIC/Guest Editors
- Mentors new authors and solicitation of submissions for peer review
- Evaluates reviews and prepares Editor-in-Chief’s decision letters for authors
- Reviews final submissions to assure that authors have adequately addressed reviewers’ recommendations
- Contributes to the production and publication of the Journal as requested by the EIC
- Supports production activities as requested by the EIC
- Supervises the troubleshooting and fielding of routine questions from Publisher representatives, authors, and reviewers