Date Posted: 03/23/2021
Assistant Professor of Interior Design, non-tenure track (or Instructor, non-terminal degree)
Fort Hays State University Department of Art & Design
Fort Hays State University’s Department of Art and Design is seeking applications for a full-time faculty position in Interior Design to begin fall 2021 (9-month contract) with option for renewal. The Department of Art and Design seeks a candidate who is engaged in experimental explorations, creative processes, and practical applications to real world problems. The candidate is expected to provide students with inspiration, leadership, mentorship and technical guidance. We are looking for a candidate who can foster growth in the interior design concentration and has the ability to adapt to new developments in the field and incorporate them into cross-curricular teaching and practice.
- All candidates must possess, at minimum, the terminal degree of MFA in Interior Design; OR must have a minimum of a master’s degree plus 18 credit hours of graduate coursework completed toward the MFA degree; degree must be completed within a timeline to be determined between the chair and the candidate.
- Evidence (professional portfolio) of creative accomplishments, excellence in writing and interpersonal communication skills in the field of interior design.
- MFA in Interior Design or related area;
- Minimum interior design experience of two years in industry or equivalent experience;
- Teaching experience (graduate teaching assistantship is acceptable, additional weight assigned to those with experience at CIDA accredited institutions);
- Experience with the CIDA accreditation process;
- NCIDQ Certification or NCIDQ-eligible;
- Evidence of innovative teaching strategies in design studios with focuses including, but not limited to, foundation-level interior design and graphics, corporate workplace projects, furniture design, and community engaged design projects;
- Demonstrated ability and experience using or teaching industry-standard design software, including but not limited to Autodesk/AutoCAD/Revit, SketchUp and the Adobe Creative Suite;
- Membership in professional organizations such as ASID, IIDA, IDEC, etc.;
- Evidence of collaboration with a diverse student, faculty, and staff population and inclusion of various cultural perspectives within curriculum;
- Evidence of interdisciplinary cooperation (Applied Technology, Business/Industry).
Rank: Assistant Professor of Interior Design, non-tenure track (or Instructor, non-terminal degree)
Appointment Date: August, 2021
Application Deadline: Priority deadline of April 12, 2021; position will remain open until filled.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.
- Teach introductory and advanced interior design courses in subjects such as textiles, color theory, commercial design, history of interior design, and space planning to meet department needs;
- Teach other basic courses or general education courses as needed within the department
- Develop and help create proper curriculum for the interior design degree program following the CIDA requirements;
- Work with other interior design faculty to further oversee/develop the curriculum;
- Assist in guiding the integration of technology in the interior design program;
- Share in the advising and mentoring of interior design students;
- Work towards future CIDA accreditation for the interior design program;
- Participate as an advisor in the student IDSA organization;
- Perform departmental and university service and maintain an active scholarly/creative activity agenda: 60% Teaching, 20% Service, and 20% Scholarship/Research;
- Demonstrate collegiality, professionalism, and a strong commitment to teaching excellence and the university mission.
- Communicate and collaborate with faculty in the Department of Applied Technology.
Application Process: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, statement of teaching philosophy, a portfolio of work consisting of approximately 20 images, evidence of teaching excellence if available (e.g. 10-20 images of student work, awards, publications, etc.). The portfolio can be in the form of a PDF or a website. Also required are copies of all university showing graduate coursework, and names and contact information for three professional references (include email, telephone, and nature of association).
Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Colin Schmidtberger, Search Committee Chair, Instructor of Interior Design and Director of the Moss-Thorns Gallery of Art and Patricia A. Schmidt Gallery Lobby
About the Department:
The Department of Art and Design at Fort Hays State University is excited to present a new state-of-the-art facility and art gallery opening in Fall 2019. This 47,000+ square foot art facility—along with the newly constructed 8,000+ square foot sculpture facility—will be equipped with the latest technology and innovation in studio and design allowing for future growth and opportunities.
The Department of Art and Design offers a Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art, Art Education or Art History and a Bachelor of Fine Arts with five concentrations: Graphic Design, Interior Design, Photography, Studio Art (Drawing, Printmaking, Painting, Sculpture, and Ceramics), and Studio Art with Teacher Certification. Our innovative Master of Fine Arts program allows students to enroll year-round or as low residency in some of the programs. The department also offers a Master of Liberal Studies with a concentration in Art/Art History. In addition, the department offers courses in the general education program including Approaches to Creativity, Fundamentals and Appreciation of Art, and Survey of Art History. Art and Design students at Fort Hays State University are part of a vibrant community of student and faculty artists who enjoy producing their own artwork and collaborating on group projects. They work closely with mentor professors, who guide hands-on learning experiences and help develop students’ talents and gain confidence as an artist, designer or arts educator. For more information about the department, please visit http://www.fhsu.edu/art-and-design/.
The Department of Art and Design at Fort Hays State University is dedicated to preparing majors in its degree programs with a foundation of aesthetic understanding and creativity, an enhanced technical skill set, and a productive work ethic. Art majors experience a high degree of faculty interaction and rigorous periodic review in preparation for employment in the design profession, as working artists, public or private educators, and entry into graduate school. Research activity and artistic production by faculty members enhances the learning experience for students. Partnerships, through practicum and intern placement, strengthen the department’s position as a leader in design, fine arts, and teacher training in Kansas and the High Plains region. The Department of Art and Design has recently entered into partnerships with Hays businesses, which allows for greater local visibility, and more importantly, an increase in student exhibition opportunities. Additionally, exhibitions in the Moss-Thorns Gallery of Art serve to connect the university and regional communities with diverse and expanded artistic expressions. Fort Hays State University’s leadership position in visual art in higher education is the result of the department’s vision, its inherited tradition of excellence, and its commitment to growth and influence. The success of the Department of Art and Design is due to the university’s vision and support, and to our belief in the core values of the art student-artist/teacher relationship, and our commitment to the effort required to achieve meaningful results.
Terminal degree in interior design
Colin Schmidtberger, Search Committee Chair, Instructor of Interior Design and Director of the Moss-Thorns Gallery of Art
Fort Hays State University Department of Art & Design
Schmidt Foundation Center for Art & Design
710 College Drive
Hays KS 67601
United States of America